Maintenance is essential with fireplace fans. Unlike a furnace that has a filter to catch dust and dirt, the fan on your fireplace has no filter, draws in air and with it dust and debris. This can build up on your fan and cause the performance to decline and eventually will seize up and stop working. The dirtier they get the harder they have to work and therefore use more energy (hydro) to operate.
The first thing to do is put new batteries in your remote. As well, the receiver inside your fireplace requires batteries and they may need changing too. This is a small black box located under the bottom of your fireplace.
Similar to candles, your unit flames are not exactly “clean”. The result is a carbon buildup on glass and logs. Some build up is to be expected and can easily be removed when cleaning. However, an excessive amount of buildup can indicate a problem and should be inspected by a qualified gas technician.